Do I need a CA number?

If you have noticed a CA number on other commercial vehicles and are wondering if need one, we have some answers.  The California Highway Patrol provides companies with a Carrier Identification Number (CVC Section 34620) that is must be obtained in order to get a Motor Carrier Permit (MCP). It verifies that the commercial vehicle has met all regulations is allowed to operate on interstate commerce.

You are required to have a permit if:

  • The commercial vehicle operates on a California highway
  • The motor vehicle has a Gross Vehicle Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds.
  • Get paid for the service for the transportation of other property using a motor vehicle (no matter vehicle weight/size)

Lucky for you, we have CA numbers you need for your cargo service. Simply click this link to get started.

Motor Carrier Permits application can be found here.

In addition to the application, you must also prove financial responsibility, proof of liability insurance, proof of worker’s compensation insurance and payment of fees to get issuance of your MCP. ¹

For further information on CA number click here.


¹ -CA Numbers Explained. (2016, October 02). Retrieved May 8, 2019, from